AFM® (Activated Filter Material) glass sold by Welldana in Denmark is now available through Pointman Oy. AFM® glass saves the environment because the filters do not need as much water for backwashing as when washing ordinary sand filter sand.
AFM® is an activated filter material made of recycled green glass. The product is a substitute for sand in all types of sand filters. AFM® glass was developed by Dr. Howard Dryden, founder of Dryden Aqua Ltd. He is one of the world’s leading experts in sustainable water treatment.
AFM® is a major product that improves filtration capacity by more than 30 percent. The special active surface of AFM® glass grains keeps itself sterile and thus the adhesion of bacteria and the formation of a biofilm on the glass surface. This way, the filter channels are not blocked and the filtering efficiency remains the same.
The benefits of AFM® are:
- It can replace the filter sand – it will never need to be replaced
- AFM® glass has a lower filtration rate which means less chlorine is consumed
- Less water is used in backwashing because AFM® glassgrains do not wear out in the same way as ordinary sand filter sand
- No trichloramine, chlorine odor, biofilm or Legionella
- Absorbs and filters impurities from water and makes water crystal clear
- For private use, AFM® requires: 70% way 1 glass and 30% class 2 glass
- For public use: 70% type 1 glass, 15% class 2 and 15% 3 glass